Click for BBLUNT VISION Clik for interviews email facebook facebook

15 October 2011

Interview: Berner [U.S. rapper/serial enterpreneur, worked with Chris Brown, Wiz Khalifa etc]

Berner's a California based rapper who's been causing a storm recently with his recent hit 'Yoko Ono', which features three huge names in hip hop right now - Wiz Khalifa, Chris Brown and Big K.R.I.T (which were featured on the latter two's respective mixtapes). Toby Kay caught up with him exclusively for Blatantly Blunt.


Firstly, what’s good with you today?
I’m smoked out and enjoying this San Francisco weather today, what’s up with you man?

Yea doing good thanks! For those that aren't yet aware, who is Berner and how did he get into the game?

You know what? I actually learned how to rap while living in Arizona. This kid named Wicked Wizard approached me in continuation school asking me if I could rap because he was trying to sell me some bull shit karaoke type machine and he challenged me to rap. 


At first I didn't really know what I was doing. So I said my rap and he said “yeah you can do it, you’re good.” I bought the machine and that was pretty much where my rap career began on the playground. I still have the microphone stand that came with it to this day. Wow you brought back memories.



The single “Yoko” has been clocking up the views, it’s doing well only after a few weeks! Could you tell us how that track came about? There are some huge names on that record!

I first hooked up with Big K.R.I.T. and got the beat from him, the beat was crazy and I knew with the right artist on the track this song was going to be a hit. I’ve known Wiz Khalifa and been friends with him for a few years and I knew it would be a great record to get him on because it sounded different than any track he’s ever been on. 


How I met Chris Brown was completely on some being at the right place at the right time type of thing I ran into Chris at the Record Plant in LA. I knew it would be historic if I got him on the record so I just made it happen. Four artist, with four different fan bases, it’s a movie.

Berner feat. Chris Brown, Wiz Khalifa & Big K.R.I.T. - Yoko Ono

Now the single is doing its thing, how are you planning on following it up, what you got planned?

Same way I always have… just continuing to release quality product. I’m working on the follow up track as we speak. We are also launching our Cookies Clothing Company and other things to branch off the success of the record.

Where do you see yourself in the crowded 2011 hip hop scene and what are you bringing to the table?

Umm…well, I looking further down the line like 2013. By then I plan to be where Diddy and Jay-Z are in the business sense, because I have more that the rap game going for me. I’m an entrepreneur in the sense that I have several things going on. I currently have the 'Stoner Girls Gone Wild' [ed: If your boss/parents etc ain't about, check that video out here!! *VERY NSFW*], 'Cookies Clothing Line' and 'Packs' the motion picture, my 'Up in Smoke' DVD series, and a rack of other things going on. 
Music is just a stepping stone to open up doors to everything else I’m doing.


What producers can we look forward to hearing you working with?

I’ve been working with my in house producer Cosmo for years now and that’s never going stop. I don’t know about other producers just yet. Any producers wanting to work with me get at me.



Any last words you want to put out there?


Weed unites people…sex sells, and there’s a lot of bullshit coming out these days. All I want to do is put out good quality music whether it’s through me as the artist or being the A&R for other artist on my label. Just good production, good packaging and over all good music.


Check out Berner online!!





Photography credits: A. Meredith Byrd

Interview by Toby Kay

2 comments:

  1. Yuuup this SLAP, Berner been out for sum time, rappin wit The Jacka all The Drought albums are worth getting ..yuup i jus love it his sound, the collaborations .

    ReplyDelete
  2. This slap and so do tha drought albums ..

    ReplyDelete