Click for BBLUNT VISION Clik for interviews email facebook facebook

19 April 2010

Skepta to collab with Diddy?


Three days ago P Diddy took to his twitter to announce he’s about to sign his first London-based rapper. On the 16th April he tweeted, “About 2 sign my 1st rapper from London. I can't tell u who it is, but I’ve wanted to sign an artist from the UK my whole life-LONDON STANDUP!!”

Since then my twitter feed has been going crazy with ‘everyone’ trying to guess which local MC is about to join Bad Boy Records. I think I’ve heard nearly every UK rapper’s name mentioned, but it’s fair to say teen rapper Fugative and South London’s Tinie Tempah are the most speculated out the bunch. I personally think he’ll sign Jedward. You never know. Oh actually they’re not from London are they?!

OK all jokes aside, whoever he signs, this can only be a good thing for UK urban music in general. “Team UK” is going global. It’s not just the MCs that should be excited though; Mr Combs is now on the hunt for a grime producer.

@iamdiddy: “Hey london I want to do a grime re mix of hello goonmornin! Who should do it?”

Many people tweeted him back saying that Boy Better Know member Skepta should be chosen for this project.

@iamdiddy: @Skepta ''the people said we should talk. Dm me a contact! Let’s gooooooo!!!”

Diddy then went on to say how much he liked grime.

@iamdiddy: “4 the record I’ve always been a fan of grime I remember the 1st time I heard it! Blew my mind. This is the 1st song I had that it could work.”

I think Diddy and Skepta spoke on the phone or something.

@iamdiddy: @Skepta ''good talkin to you. Let’s see if we can catch a vibe. And if its meant to be then we let the people hear it. Thank u 4 hittin back.”

@Skepta: @iamdiddy ''100% G. Love”

Diddy even retweeted @MTVUK in the conversation, as you know; us lot at MTV love to support UK music where and when we can!

Could this be the time for grime to blow stateside? We do hope so..


For those that don't know, this isn't Skepta's 1st US collab; he made a track called 'we don't give a fuck' with Dipset member Juelz Santana a few years back.. Hopefully this one won't sell Skepta out to loyal grime fanbase.

No comments:

Post a Comment