25 January 2008
24 January 2008
Past radio shows available to stream. If you would like to feature on the show or have your music played on it, drop me an email.
21 January 2008
This fake A&R guy who calls himself Kevin Powder goes to Kersal, the home of err the Massive and meets C-Mac, Little 'Fuckin' Kev and Ginger Joe. Unsurprisingly they've matured a bit but its classic Youtube fodder. The dude arrives in Kersall on the clip at 1:20 so fast fwd to that if you don't wanna watch the b.s. before.
Chav'd out dubstep Kersal Diss track: "F*ck Kersal Massive". These guys have obviously been listening to MC Pitman (who I understand has the true identity of 'artist' Damien Hirst).
20 January 2008
'Don't Talk' Music Video. Track Produced By: DaVinChe
Artists (in order): Sick Man,Ice Kid,Lioness, Little Dee, Dizz Man & Young Dot
Feat. STYLO G
19 January 2008
- Elro - grime/hip hop MC - June 2012
- Ten Dixon - grime MC May 2012
- 9th Wonder - US hip hop producer - April 2012
- 184 - Brighton hip hop producer - April 2012
- Obie Trice - US rapper - March 2012
- Kings of the City - Rock/Hip Hop/Blues group - Jan 2012
- Dubbledge - UK Hip hop lyricist - Jan 2012
- C4 - Grime MC - December 2011
- Marger - Grime MC September 2011
- Killer Mike (veteran Atlanta, USA rapper) June 2011
- Teddy (aka Silencer) - UK grime producer/DJ May 2011
- Instance - UK hip hop MC/Label owner May 2011
- Scrufizzer - UK grime MC/Producer April 2011
- Wariko - UK grime MC April 2011
- Mic Righteous - UK Rapper April 2011
- Rewd Adams - UK rapper Feb 2011
- Homeboy Sandman - US Rapper Feb 2011
- Ed Sheeran - Acoustic singer/songwriter/rapper Jan 2011
- Z Dot and Dan Dare (The Elite) - [Exclusively for MTV's The Wrap Up] Jan 2010
- Tulisa from N Dubz - [exclusively for MTV's The Wrap Up] December 2010
- R Demon from Macabre Unit - Grime producer [exclusively for MTV's The Wrap Up] November 2010
- Reps - UK hip hop MC November 2010 (video interview)
- Badness - Grime/Reggae MC & Singer November 2010 (video interview)
- S.P. - Grime MC from Birmingham [exclusively for Urban Development's 'The Up Down'] November 2010
- GLC - Legendary Chicago rapper October 2010 (video interview)
- Elijah from Butterz - DJ/grime label guys [exclusively for MTV's The Wrap Up] October 2010
- Mystro - Veteran UK Hip hop MC October 2010 (video interview)
- Terror Danjah - Veteran grime producer [exclusively for MTV's The Wrap Up] Sept 2010
- Mikill Pane - UK rapper [exclusively for MTV's The Wrap Up] Sept 2010
- Random Impulse - UK rapper/producer/singer [exclusively for MTV's The Wrap Up] August 2010
- Nutty P - hip hop/dubstep producer August 2010 (video interview)
- J Beatz (grime producer) July 2010 (video interview)
- Jammer & C Gritz - Grime MCs/producers June 2010 (Video interview and freestyle)
- Chima Anya - UK rapper June 2010 (Video interview and freestyle)
- Twissman - UK Rapper [exclusively for MTV's The Wrap Up] June 2010
- Ny - Grime/R&B singer [exclusively for MTV's The Wrap Up] May 2010
- Row D. Beats - Hip hop/Grime producer & MC May 2010 (Video interview and freestyle)
- Ms Darks - Garage/Grime MC May 2010 (Video interview and freestyle)
- M.I.K - Grime MC May 2010 (Video interview and freestyle)
- Aggro Santos - UK Rapper [exclusively for MTV's The Wrap Up] May 2010
- Kulez - Rap Battle MC & UK Hip hop artist March 2010 (Video interview)
- Tre Mission - Canadian grime artist March 2010 (also posted on MTV Blog)
- S-X - Producer of 'Wooo Riddim' February 2010 (Also posted on GrimeDaily.com blog)
- Trozion - up and coming grime star January 2010 (video interview and freestyle)
- Levi - UK Hip hop/grime artist January 2010 (Video interview)
- Skilzie - London grime MC January 2010
- C. Gritz - Boy Better Know member November 2009 (video interview and freestyle)
- JR - London hip hop artist November 2009
- Ricta - UK Hip hop Artist - March 2008
- Terra K.I.D from Red Hot Entertainment February 2008
17 January 2008
This vid really shows how a woman can have a well paid job AND run a family at the same time! Shouts to E-Baums World on this one.
"A hooker brings her kids to work with her. She is also accused of snorting coke off of her infant child stomach while she breast fed him."
If he cared, that might be his reaction.
Back to the music.. Only a severe cynic would say this guy's not keeping it real.. His name's Jon Lajoie and is a comedian from Canada that could be loosely compared to a comedy version of Mike Skinner. I'm glad I can finally distinguish between a US and Canadian accent (hint: if they sound at all slightly British, but with an American accent, it's probably that they're from the land with a ganja looking maple leaf on the flag). LaJoie's original style would really work if they took the Ali G image from him and replaced with a more backpacker/less bait style. For the free MP3s visit www.jonlajoie.com and check out his other videos also... here's part 2 of the track which caught many's attention of him:
And this is the 'part one' of that, pretty similar, less polished.
One more from Jon.. a piss take 'advert' (you know the type, used on many 1990s hip hop skits) criticizing the brain washing effect of the mainstream media...
13 January 2008
Some real home grown grime tracks from local emcee Black the Ripper.. an Emcee I've rated for a while now.. someone to look out for in the future perhaps once he's got a bigger budget??
Rhymestein & Black The Ripper - Invisible Scarz
Black The Ripper - Death Is Promised
12 January 2008
THIS SHIT SPEAKS FOR ITSELF, AND IS BASED AROUND THE 'VOTE OR DIE' CAMPAIGN IN THE LAST U.S. PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION... TO ALL MY AMERICAN VISITORS: DON'T WASTE YOUR VOICE!
10 January 2008
This tracks pretty good in my opinion. Good to see some heavy weights of the US working with some homegrown artists, especially Est'elle who recently has another collabo with Will.I.Am from Black Eyed Peas. You can peep that here, though it's not posted up because I don't rate it highly. However, it does have an interesting sampling of Screaming Jay Hawkins' 'I put spell on you'. Thats the track DJ Premier sampled on Biggie's 'Kick in the door', which is up there as one of the greatest hip hop tracks of ALL TIME.
Anyway to hear the Kanye and Estelle collabo, right click and select 'save target as' or just click to stream here.
8 January 2008
This track I am feeling DIFFERENTLY... I've not heard a collaboration track like this in a LONG while. I'm pretty sure Snoop's cousin, Daz Dillinger produced this, and his verse is fire also.. Bohagon also delivers and so does Snoop (but i didnt have to tell you that, esp. when its a track about smoking and driving!)
I'll leave it up to you to make your opinion. By all means, leave a comment but I cant stop playing this at least 3 times a day since I got hold of it.. which was about a week ago!!
7 January 2008
Streets and Beats front man Mike Skinner believes the reason for him closing 'The Beats' is "down to the fact that the traditional record label is dead. The Beats represents me growing up. Spectating was more nerve-wracking than performing." Eh?
So it's nothing to do with poor sales leading to your loss of funding from Warner Music Group then Mike?
From the last 5 streets' singles, the best selling one peaked at number 8, followed by singles reaching 10, 20, 25 and 30.
I don't think it's just me that believes the last 2 Streets albums kinda stank (ESPECIALLY the last one).
Not to worry though fans! The Streets front man has the solution, and is wrapped into 2 sentences so here goes:
"What I'm doing now is looking for the thing you can create that embraces the next generation. I'm really into what you can do online and I'd rather be at the centre of it."
So why couldn't Mike do this before? Perhaps he spent his budget on questionable releases and signings...Props to prof. green but we all know battle rappers rarely make it. I say rarely because Eminem is the exception that proves the rule, and he's sumthing special in a country where even the most out of touch people knew who his mentor Dr Dre was. Over here, the same formula doesn't work, though im unproven on this so won't pass any judgments yet.
As for The Mitchell bros, they're good but were stuck in the twilight zone. Not quite pop, not quite hip hop and not quite grime. That only worked for Skinner in his early days because of the freshness of his sound. Routine check & Harvey Nicks were hot songs but blatently aimed at the download generation, before iTunes took hold of certain peoples' bank accounts. And as for Example...I'll leave you with this perfect peice of self referential music.
In summary: R.I.P The Beats. Good effort. But we're just as bemused as these guys about your model for commercial and/or underground success (if the latter exists in this country)...
2 January 2008
Skillz, the ghostwriter and emcee from Virginia has been dropping the years' rap up for a few years now and have always been a source of end of/new year entertainment so check
his summary of 2007...
A Ph.D candidate at the University of Minnesota, and his fairy tale story involving Youtube & Dr. Pepper
OK, I know this isn't strictly new, but seeing as its the new year (apparently), I felt that the best story involving YouTube of 2007 had to be shown as I got a feeling this guys got about as much of a chance making it as a singer as 'Howard' from the Halifax ad's, despite him having a great novelty voice:
And this is the result of Dr Pepper seeing Tay Zonday and making a big budget video for it... This has some strong parallels to 'Smelly Cats' by Phoebe in the 'Friends' epsiode, except this one seems more over done than the one in Friends, and that was a fictional comedy...Corporate America's done it again!Some more info about Zonday below, courtesy of Wikipedia
"Zonday's composition "Chocolate Rain" and accompanying video on YouTube became a popular Internet meme in July 2007. Within the course of a month, Zonday went from grad student in Minneapolis to appearances on national television. He has appeared on the Opie & Anthony Show, G4TV's Attack of the Show, VH1’s Best Week Ever, and Jimmy Kimmel Live, where he performed Chocolate Rain on national television a little over three months after he posted his composition on YouTube. He made the front page of Sunday's Los Angeles Times on August 12, 2007 with additional features in The Toronto Star, The Chicago Tribune's RedEye, The Star Tribune and People Magazine and has appeared on CNN for a televised interview."
The next clip is slightly off the normal schedule of Blatentlyblunt but it's gotta be seen if you've ever seen '2 chicks 1 cup' - the infamous clip(s?) involving 2 girls and a cup full of something, which can be left to your imagination until you see the clip..